Tuesday, July 16, 2013

First Impressions



We arrived in Monrovia, Liberia, one week ago today, beginning a four-year mission assignment.  Already I can tell that life here is going to be different from anywhere I have ever lived before. It is rainy season right now, so it has rained a part of every day or night since our arrival.  The air is humid, and the weather is hot.

 
Liberia lacks most of the modern conveniences to which I have grown accustomed. I am adjusting to cooking with gas from a propane tank and remembering which tasks can be done with electricity and lighting, and which tasks cannot.  Just this morning Gaylord was commenting that the room we were in needed more electrical plugs.  Really?  I was thinking it needed more electricity!
 
 

DeVane and Mary McGee are the resident missionaries here, and they have graciously hosted us and assisted us in getting settled.  They have taxied us about town for groceries, telephone and internet connections, and introductions to some of our pastors and institutions.  They have done all of this while also hosting a gentleman from the states and regional personnel from our missions organization.  I am reminded of the scripture that speaks of the reward of giving a cup of cold water in Jesus' name. Surely there will be an extra star in their crowns for their hospitality, especially since this has been their pattern for the past 2 1/2 years of ministry in this country. 



The national church leadership of the Liberia Assemblies of God (LAG) hosted a dinner in honor of the American guests and the new missionary couple.  It was very nice, and we appreciated the warm welcome into their country.  We toured the new radio station and two of the Bible schools that have been or are being reconstructed/refurbished.  There is much to be done to assist in church planting and training of national pastors.  As one of the Bible school administrators stated, "Many of our pastors were killed during the war or fled our country; therefore, we need more pastors, and we need training for them. The time is far spent."  I think that puts in perspective the focus of training to fulfill the great commission as stated in Matthew 28:19,20:  Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost: Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you alway, even unto the end of the world.


So one week into this new assignment, I say thank you, Lord.  Thank you for the honor of your call upon my life.  Thank you for the opportunity to serve as you lead and where you lead.  May I extend to others the grace that has been extended to me, both by you and by your servants.  May I ever walk worthy of the life you have called me to live.

7 comments:

Donna Ivey said...

24You and Gaylord are in my prayers. May the Lord keep His hand of peace and safety on you both.

HurrayMomma said...

I love the car with the homemade bumper sticker "God time is best"! That made my day :D
We are praying for you as you go into this new place with His purpose.

TexDave said...

I love your stories. Good to hear from you. Hello from Mexia! Praying that the adjustments and "settling in" are smooth. I pray that the Lord gives you strength, safety and wisdom to do His work where it is much needed.

Anonymous said...

Think about you often and pray for you missions i know the lord has his hands on ya'll and will watch over you both. Lots of love and prayers from malakoff ,

Anonymous said...

May the good Lord guid protect and provide all the times.. You inspire me so much. Doing it for God thats great

Adriane said...

I'm glad to see you blogging again. And, I find the pics of the city very "romantic". Love and miss you both!
-Your Idealistic First Born

Lisa J said...

I'll be praying for you more. Dwain Jones came to our Church and spoke Sunday night. My mind flooded with mission trips from the past. I bought his book "3 Gold Coins" if you've not read it, its a good one to spend time with. I've realized how spoiled I am! For years I and many others I had conversations with talked and looked down on the "Israelites" (did in the Bible)for not trusting the Lord. Let me just say Most of Us ARE the Israelites.....Many, Many prayers for the two of you.