Monday, August 19, 2013

I Got By with A Little Help from My New Friend

Sunday we preached at a church in the Monrovia District.  This is the capital city, but because it is rainy season, we were told that we might have to drive to a certain point and then walk the rest of the way to the church. I know that many of you reading this will find it hard to imagine that there would be enough rain to make roads in town impassable, but I can tell you first-hand, that it is so.  We had to use four-wheel drive a time or two, and we always try to avoid potholes with standing water because it is not clear how deep the hole underneath might be.

We stopped at a designated location to collect a gentleman from the church to ride with us and direct us to the church.  When we drove as far as we could go, he informed us that we would have to park the car and walk the rest of the way to the church.  The distance wasn't far, but the church was built amidst houses and other buildings where there was no road and where you had to cross a couple of foot-bridges to reach.
The concrete foot-bridge was not a problem.  Neither was the wooden-beam foot-bridge, but I wasn't sure of that at first.
 We had a very nice service with the local pastor and congregation.

As we left, I told Gaylord that I wanted him to go ahead of me with my camera and take a picture of me crossing the wooden beam. I paused to ensure that he had the camera ready.  As I did so, one of the usherettes from the church raced in front of me to assist me.  I guess she thought that I was faltering with hesitation.  I really wanted to ask her to move so that I could have my picture made, but she was too busy re-assuring me that we would not fall and that I was going to make it just fine.  She was so considerate and attentive.

So though you may not be able to see me being dramatic as I stepped on the bridge, you can see that I made it safely across with a little help from my new friend.

No comments: