Monday, May 16, 2016

Hey, Whi’ Man!

I don’t normally think about being a minority in this culture, but here are a few of the recent reminders of the novelty of our "whiteness":

· I was showing some pastors a photo of our new grandbaby, and one of them sweetly said, "Oh, a little white baby."

· On his way to school, a little boy noticed that we were building a tabernacle. I saw him grin real big as he said to his friend, "I’ve got to go over there and see the white man."

· Some little children getting close enough to me to rub my arm

· A group of girls asking to touch Gaylord’s hair

· Constant stares while out and about

· The occasional “hey, whi’ man” – sometimes in a pleasant manner and sometimes not

· The realization that we are the ONLY white people in any given setting

· Small children mimicking our features or actions – like drawing attention to my double chin (When I looked at all the surrounding faces, I realized that Gaylord and I were the only ones with this distinguishing feature.), or crossing their legs and moving their foot back and forth and watching to see if they were doing it correctly, or speaking in a high-pitched tone to reproduce our Texas drawls

Fun observances, but, oh, to know what they are really thinking!

1 comment:

Jenilee said...

On Sunday, a group of kids yelled, "Bonjour!!" in really high pitched voices at me while laughing after I walked by and said, "Bonjour!" to them. lol