Thursday, October 30, 2008

BUSTED!

There I was - driving along - finally getting up the nerve to pass or overtake the vehicle in front of me.  On Malawi roadways, I always do that reluctantly and cautiously.  That is when I realized why the car in front of me was going slower than expected.  Standing by the side of the road, encouraging me to pull over, were two uniformed traffic officers.  BUSTED!  It seems that I was exceeding the non-posted speed limit.  After retaining my driver's license, I was told that I must report to the Central Police Station at 7:30 AM today.  Ugh!
100_9939 [640x480]
So my morning was spent familiarizing myself with government offices that I had, heretofore, avoided.  To say that this was a long, arduous process is an understatement.  All of the attending officers were very cordial and helpful to this "alien".(That is what we are referred to as foreigners in another country.)  But the process of.....
1) Handwriting the complaint for each offender with personal details
2) Pleading guilty to the receiving officer
3) Having your complaint taken to the judge to assess the fine
4) Paying said fine and getting a receipt
5) Showing receipt and retrieving driver's license from attendant after searching through envelopes, plastic bags, and wooden case, repeatedly
6) Driving home SLOWLY
.....took 5 hours.  Yes, 5 hours of handwriting with a carbon duplicate of all records and waiting with fellow offenders while moving from one building or locale to another.
The temperature was moderate, and a breeze was blowing.  I was fortunate to have a bench to sit on and was in good company.  I met a Red Cross worker from Iceland, a missionary from Canada, and several Malawians that I did not know before.  I am always up for a new adventure, right?
My real regret is that I could not take photos.  That is strictly forbidden at government installations.  Yet somehow I don't think that I will soon forget this experience.
100_2782 [640x480]
On the bright side, I got caught up on my Bible reading, outlined a ladies Bible study, organized menus for ANTS, and made bulleted lists of all the things I needed to do when released.  Might as well make the most of the moment...or  the minutes....or the hours!

2 comments:

Shelbs said...

so... you got a speeding ticket... interesting.. you are joining the ranks of ady and myself...

Anonymous said...

but not paying nearly as much...equivalent of $28 for 21 kg over limit...but the 5 hours at the police station was a killer...i will try not to get caught speeding again