Monday, December 6, 2010

What’s in a Name Anyway?

Americans tend to link their identities so much to their names.  We are taught the importance of knowing other people’s names and acknowledging them by their names.  This is not so in Africa.  It is not uncommon for people to name and re-name themselves, nor is it uncommon for them to know each other for years and not know each other’s full name.  If you misunderstand an introduction and call a person by the wrong name, that is not a problem.

I was reminded of this again this week in talking with a young man that I met when we first came to Malawi.  I thought that he was introduced to me as Vincent.  I see this man on a somewhat-regular basis and always acknowledge him by his name.

This week Vincent was at our house, and after I greeted him, Gaylord asked me why I call him Vincent.  Of course, my answer was that that is his name.  “No, it’s not,” Gaylord said.  “His name is Garnet.”

Garnet?  What?  So I asked Vincent aka Garnet what his name was.  “Garnet,” he said.  I went on to relate how I have always called him Vincent, and he has always answered me.  I wondered why I thought his name was Vincent.  “I don’t know, madam,” was his reply.

In an effort to ease my troubled mind, I pursued the matter a bit further.  I am usually so good about remembering a person’s name because, after all, that is so important to us Americans. “Garnet, I am still trying to figure out why I call you Vincent.  Does anyone ever call you Vincent?”

“Yes, ma’am.”

Finally, I knew there was a reason I would make such a blunder. “Who?” I asked.

“You, madam.”

To this, I refer to my blog post title: What’s in a Name Anyway?  End of that discussion with Garnet.

No comments: