Wednesday, June 10, 2015

On Ebola…

Even in our short time back in country, we have been able to meet some of our pastors, Bible school students, and acquaintances. All seem to be so appreciative that God was merciful and spared their lives.
As we were driving, one young man pointed to a spot in a certain area of town and said that was where dead bodies were piled with no services to pick them up, while dogs began eating their flesh. One said that being confined to his home with the shops closed and streets emptied reminded him of the same circumstances during the war. Fear was rampant as one never knew who might be a carrier of this dread disease. It seems that the images we saw on our television while in the USA may not have done justice to the realities of what these dear people struggled with day in and day out.
A local radio station interviewed Gaylord last week. They asked about the relief efforts of the Assemblies of God USA during this crisis. He was happy to report that in partnership with Convoy of Hope and Assemblies of God World Missions, a total of 15 containers of food and/or medical supplies were provided. That represents almost 4 million meal packs and medical equipment that were distributed across the country.
IMG_5768IMG_5765

The radio interviewer likened this intervention to Matthew 25:35,36: For I was hungry, and you gave me something to eat; I was thirsty, and you gave me something to drink; I was a stranger, and you invited me in; naked, and you clothed me; I was sick, and you visited me; I was in prison, and you came to me. He expressed gratitude for the contribution made to Liberia by the American church. Ebola has not yet been contained in the neighboring countries of Sierra Leone and Guinea, and the borders between them and Liberia have been re-opened. Medical personnel project that there will probably be another spike in Liberia. Pray with us that this is not the case and that soon West Africa will truly be Ebola-free.

No comments: