Saturday, March 19, 2016

Not Your Typical Baby Shower

Today we heard some noise outside the room where we are staying.  Gaylord looked out to see a group coming down the road.
IMG_1891
Almost all were carrying something on their heads, beating a drum, dancing or chanting something. Of course, I grabbed my camera, and we went out on the porch for a closer look.
IMG_1897
As they made their way in front of us, they stopped to greet.  I inquired about what they were doing and asked to take their photos.  They were delighted to pose for the camera and told me that someone in the village had just had a baby.  They were taking firewood and other items to welcome the new arrival.
IMG_1899 (2)IMG_1900IMG_1903IMG_1905IMG_1910IMG_1908
I pray that mother and baby are doing well and that they feel the excitement of these neighbors and friends for the newest member of their community.

1 comment:

Margaret said...

A most useful gift.