Monday, September 29, 2008

Pet vs. Plant

This lovely little deer is actually a small antelope called a dik-dik.  His name is Guape (Chichewa for small deer) or Ndiwo (also Chichewa for relish).  He makes a great little pet and likes to be right up under us when we are outside.  He romps and plays, even trying to butt our legs (a game that stings a bit now that he has horns).
100_2270 [1024x768]
 100_2267 [1024x768]
Now we find it quite novel having an antelope for a pet, but we are suddenly faced with a dilemma.  It seems that Guape loves to eat plants and flowers.  That is a problem now that it is spring/summer, and all of my plants should/would be blooming if not for the appetite of one little deer, especially my rose garden. Fun pet or not, if we don't find a solution soon, I fear that Guape will become ndiwo and only a photo and a memory!

3 comments:

Shelbs said...

i think you should do with him what you did to shorty.. maybe he will "run away" and then you and did can find him on the side of the road bloated and dead.. recognizable only by his lime green collar..

just a suggestion.

Anonymous said...

I am taking that as confirmation...that was my idea...but you know Did!

Anonymous said...

I had to stop twice this morning going to school for 6 baby deer to cross the road. I stopped and said a thnak you prayer for seeing it.