Wednesday, October 15, 2008

No apologies

Hello...my name is Fredna...and I am a "photo"holic.  If I were at a meeting for camera/photo addiction anonymous, that might be my introduction.  I think I got my first Kodak Instamatic camera for Christmas in the 1960's.  The subsequent years have brought models and makes of every sort.  I can remember running to the mailbox to get double prints or regular=size photos with smaller duplicates from some mail-order company.  The anticipation grew each day until the processed film in the form of snapshots arrived.  Polaroid and Kodak instant cameras took away the wait but proved to be a lesser choice in the end.  Who knew digital would come along and make photo processing such a personal experience with the owner in the driver's seat?
377    1203150825308080_1
Why do I address this topic in a blog?  Because for a number of years I have felt awkward about getting in front of the room to take the picture or always having a camera handy, hoping not to miss "the shot".  Others have even commented about Fredna and her camera.  Deep down I never really cared because I had the finished product to look at repeatedly and enjoy.  I have taken photos of my elementary-school classmates, high-school friends, family members, funerals, baby dedications, graduations, vacations, ministry functions - you name it - and I have probably taken a picture of it.                     
When we came to Africa as missionaries, I knew that a good digital camera was a must.  I have taken photos of people and places from one side of this continent to the other and many points in between.  Again, I have had others comment about Fredna and her camera, but when I am old and gray, my mind may have a hard time recollecting these events.  But with photographic images, my hope is that the memories will remain vibrant and alive.
                     M7075_EKN035313enC1013_FF_125x100
Again, why this topic?  Well, I have come to believe and realize that, in fact, my camera provides a valuable ministry tool for me.  First, it provides a point of contact for meeting and sharing with others.  Secondly, most of the nationals that we know cannot afford the cost of a camera or photo processing.  Prints that I have shared are valued and cherished by the recipients.  But most importantly by far, is the fact that in many cases, snapshots that I have taken provide the only photograph that family members have of deceased loved ones.
Sunday, a dear friend was killed in a tragic car accident.  Only three weeks ago, I had given her a photo of her family and of her youngest son.  She and her husband were so excited.  They didn't have a recent family photo.  That moment can never be captured again.  Less than two months ago, I took a photo that proved to be the last one taken of a small baby we know.  This truth repeats itself over and over.
So, yes, my name is Fredna...and I am a "photo"holic.  Tonight, I make no apologies for that.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Amen photo sister. I am right there with you. Somedays it is the only way I get through the heartache is by looking at the pictures. It is also sometimes the only way people will get to see loved ones who are across the world from each other. I believe that God has blessed us with the cameras of today so we wont forget our yesterdays. Love yours and Gaylord's Blogs. Thank you for blessing us.