Saturday, October 18, 2008

Where I Now Live

Until coming to Africa I had always lived in small Texas towns.  I remember when our children were very small, they made the comment that one day they would like to live in a town that was large enough to have its own Wal-mart.  Isn't that funny? 
Well, they each got their desire.  Adriane lives in Longview; Shelby lives in the Dallas/Ft Worth metroplex; and Caleb lives outside Los Angeles.
I, on the other hand, do not live anywhere near a Wal-mart.  There is nothing small nor Texan about my town.   I did make an interesting observation the other day while standing at the kitchen sink.  I live in a town where I now wash and re-use Ziploc bags (and wash dishes by hand, I might add).  What a random thought!
100_2604 [640x480] 
In today's disposable society, I recycle Ziploc bags.  When items are abundant or inexpensive, you tend to overlook their inherent value.  You tend to discard the old in favor of the new.  You tend to forget that there is still much usefulness remaining in the original object.  I wonder if we do that with people as well as things.
Lord, help me to see the inherent value in your creation.  Let me view each person I encounter, as one You paid  a high price to redeem and salvage.  Let me help each discover his/her worth to You and his/her value to Your kingdom.
100_0636 [640x480]    100_1985 [640x480]
 
Thank you, God, for where I now live and for the lessons you are teaching me along the way.

No comments: