Monday, July 22, 2013

New Tastes

Those of you who know me or have followed me in the past, know that I am game to try all sorts of new taste treats on this journey called missions.  I have posted photos of all sorts of insects, varmints, and fruits/vegetables with descriptions to match.  Some I know the names of, and some, I don't.  I have two such examples again today.

The first set of photos shows a plant with small green berry-looking fruit.  These are known as bitter balls.  The explanation I was given for the name was that they were little balls, and they tasted bitter.  Makes sense to me!



Gaylord does not normally venture very far from the familiar when it comes to new foods, but even he tasted a bitter ball.  The description is well-suited.  These can be eaten uncooked or added to soups and stews.  It is believed that their bitter taste keeps mosquitoes away and is good for the blood (or so I was told by the gentleman who thought I should taste this).

Next is a fruit that would be hard to describe without a photo, so please see below.  I am not sure of the name of this, but after cutting into it and tasting, I believe that it must be part of the litchi family.  The look and taste were virtually the same.



I am not totally irresponsible when it comes to trying new things, and sanitation is always a concern, but like I tell Gaylord when battling the traffic or standing in long queues or trying to make sense of the seemingly senseless sometimes, "You won't get this in America.  You need to enjoy now." 

And enjoying - I AM!

1 comment:

Christen said...

I have seen these on the show Chopped, so I googled it. I believe they're called rambutan. Enjoying your blogs!